Friday, June 11, 2010

Up in the Air

It's very unlike me to post with no pictures, but I just had to share my story (nightmare) from yesterday afternoon. I'd been in NY for a 4 day internal offsite, tired, and ready to get home. We managed to wrap things up a little early so I was in a cab headed to LaGuardia ahead of schedule for my 4:15pm flight to Portland. Goes a little something like this.......



12:30- arrive at airport, pay $50 to get on earlier flight to Portland at 2:30

1:55- board flight

2:15- de-board flight due to unknown mechanical failure, airline not sure if they can fix or flight will be cancelled.

2:30- customer service informs us the 4:15 flight is oversold so we are stuck

2:35- throw fit that I paid extra for an earlier flight and should get my seat back on 4:15 flight

2:36- get new boarding pass for 4:15 flight despite stares from angry passengers

4:00- board 4:15 flight (2:30 flight still sitting in airport)

4:20- pilot makes announcement that plane is too heavy and we need to burn off 175lbs of fuel.

4:25- pull off to side and run props (on a small prop plane) for 25 minutes

4:50- pilot makes announcement that ACC changed our route and now we don't have enough fuel

4:55- back at gate to get more fuel

5:20-de-board plane while plane is fueled

5:45-guy sits next to me because we've been on so many flights together we usually sit and chat (pathetic that I fly this much that I have random friends in airports)

6:00- reboard flight

6:05- pilot makes announcement that we are behind 30 planes for takeoff

6:45-cheers erupt on plane as we pull onto runway

6:50- pilot pulls off runway because LaGuardia has now shut down takeoffs due to weather

6:51-flight attendant asks if anyone is taking resumes

7:30- finally takeoff for Portland

8:45- land in Portland

9:15 report bag missing and catch cab home